WE ARE NOW HIRING FOR THE POSITION
OF CADET / CONSTABLE
Swearing-in Ceremony of New Recruits at City Hall in Chatham
The Constable Selection System (CSS) has changed as of January 1, 2020.
For information on this new process, please visit www.oacpcertificate.ca
The Chatham-Kent Police Service strives to attract, identify and hire the best available candidates and thereby ensure those candidates will contribute to the professionalism of our organization. The CKPS Recruit Selection testing is an important component of our selection process as it assists us to identify the best candidates.
Requirements for Police Cadets
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Be physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position, having regard for his or her own safety and the safety of the public.
- Be of good moral character and habits.
- Must possess a minimum of a diploma or degree from an accredited college or university.
- Possess a valid driver’s licence with no more than six accumulated demerit points, permitting you to drive an automobile in Ontario with full driving privileges.
- Must have no criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Vision requirements: uncorrected 20/40 correctable to 20/20 colour vision.
- Must successfully complete the Pre-Application Assessment for Police Constable conducted through the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (oacpcertificate.ca).
Stages of the Selection Process
- Pre-Interview Assessment Stage
- Submit Application
- Fitness Testing
- Preliminary Interview
- Background Investigation
- Psychological Testing
- Final Interview
- Offer of Employment
Please note that this is a competitive process and applicants are eliminated during each stage. Successful applicants at each stage will receive an invitation to the next stage in the process.
Step 1: Pre-Interview Assessment Stage
Completed through the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police https://oacpcertificate.ca
Step 2: Submit Application
Applicants must provide the following 10 items as part of their application:
- Cover Letter. A valid email address must be included for contact purposes.
- OACP Certificate of Results – obtained through Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (oacpcertificate.ca)
- Application Form
- Authorization for Release of Information
- Record of Medical History
- Record of Medical Examination
- First Aid/CPR Certificate – Level C
- All Diplomas and/or Degrees (high school, college, university)
- All transcripts (high school and post-secondary even if partially completed)
- Copy of current birth certificate and driver’s licence.
Application packages are to be submitted electronically as a single PDF file. Within that file, please have the items in the order they appear above.
Name the PDF file using your name: lastname.firstname.
Application packages are to be submitted to Deputy Chief Kirk Earley at firstname.lastname@example.org
The subject line in your email will be ‘Cadet/Constable Application’
The deadline to submit your application is Friday, January 15, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.
Stage 3: Fitness Testing
Those invited to participate in the fitness test will be required to complete a 2.4 km (1.5 mile) run. Candidates must achieve an overall score of 70% or higher (35/50).
Candidates will be required to sign a Fitness Liability Release Form.
|CKPS Fitness Test – 2.4 km Run Scoring|
|Score / 50||Male Age 20-29||Female Age 20-29||Score / 50||Male Age 30 +||Female Age 30+|
|50||under 9:00||under 10:35||50||under 9:20||under 11:00|
|47.5||9:01 – 9:30||10:36 -11:10||47.5||9:21 – 9:50||11:01 – 11:35|
|45||9:31 – 10:00||11:11 – 11:52||45||9:51 – 10:20||11:36 – 12:10|
|42.5||10:01 – 10:30||11:53 – 12:34||42.5||10:21 – 10:50||12:11 – 12:45|
|40||10:31 – 10:56||12:35 – 13:00||40||10:51 -11:20||12:46 – 13:20|
|37.5||10:57 – 11:22||13:01 – 13:26||37.5||11:21 – 11:50||13:21 – 13:55|
|35||11:23 – 11:46||13:27 – 13:42||35||11:51 – 12:20||13:56 – 14:30|
|30||11:47 -12:10||13:43 – 13:37||30||12:21 – 12:50||14:31 – 15:05|
|25||12:11 – 12:35||13:58 – 14:12||25||12:51 – 13:20||15:06 – 15:40|
|20||12:36 – 12:59||14:13 – 14:27||20||13:21 – 13:50||15:41 – 16:15|
|15||13:00 – 13:30||14:28 – 14:42||15||13:51 -14:20||16:16 – 16:50|
|10||13:31 – 14:00||14:43 – 14:57||10||14:21 – 14:50||16:51 – 17:25|
|5||14:01 – 14:30||14:58 – 15:12||5||14:51 – 15:20||17:26 – 18:00|
Step 4: Preliminary Interview
Applicants will be interviewed by a recruiting team.
Step 5: Background Investigation
An investigator will be assigned to complete a thorough background investigation into an applicant. It will include speaking with past employers, friends, family, personal references, and anyone else we think might be able to help.
Step 6: Psychological Testing
Applicants will meet with a third-party psychological assessment service. The psychological interview determines applicant suitability to policing. There is no way to study or prepare for this stage.
Step 7: Final Interview
The Chief of Police and members of senior administration will interview candidates to determine their suitability for hire.
Step 8: Offer of Employment
Applicants who are given an offer of employment will be scheduled for orientation training and prepared for training at the Ontario Police College.