Swearing-in Ceremony of New Recruits at the Courthouse – photo credit Blackburn News
The Chatham-Kent Police Service is currently hiring for the position of Cadet / Constable.
Application Deadline: December 31, 2019.
Applicants for the position of Constable with the Chatham-Kent Police Service must meet the following requirements:
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- Police Constable applicants must be at least 21 years of age.
- Be of good moral character and habits. (a pardon must have been obtained for any criminal convictions)
- Minimum of a diploma or degree from an accredited College or University.
- Must possess a current Ontario G class driver’s license. (maximum six demerit point accumulation)
- Pass the medical, physical, aptitude and visual tests to determine that the candidate is physically and mentally able to perform the duties of a police officer, having regard to his or her own safety and the safety of members of the public.
- Vision Requirements: uncorrected 20/40 correctable to 20/20 colour vision. Candidates will produce an eye examination certificate from a qualified medical practitioner or optometrist both corrected and uncorrected vision as well as the status of colour vision.
Applicants must provide the following 11 items with their application submission:
- Cover Letter. A valid e-mail address must be included on the resume for contact purposes.
- Application Form
- Authorization for Release of Information
- Record of Medical History
- Record of Medical Examination
- Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (OACP) Certificate of Results. The results must be current during the period of the posting / application time. Details of the testing and scheduled test dates can be found on the ATS website http://www.applicanttesting.com/
- Copy of current and valid certificates in Standard First Aid and CPR
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of current Driver’s License
- Copy of all diplomas and/or degrees
- Copy of College and/or University transcripts
Any applications missing these items will not be considered.
The Chatham-Kent Police Service strives to attract, identify and hire the best available candidates and thereby ensure those candidates will contribute to the professionalism of our organization. The CKPS Recruit Selection Testing is an important component of our selection process as it assists us to identify those best candidates.
The framework for the selection process is:
- Application package received and vetted
- Fitness Testing
- Preliminary Interview
- Background Investigation
- Psychological Testing
- Final Interview
- Offer of Employment
Please note that this a competitive process and applicants are eliminated during each stage. Successful applicants at each stage will receive an invitation to the next stage of the process.
Information on Fitness Testing
Those invited to participate in the Fitness Test will be required to complete a 2.4 km (1.5 mile) run. Candidates must achieve an overall score of 70/100 or higher (35/50)
Candidates will be required to sign a Fitness Liability Release Form.
Those in attendance should ensure that they bring proper attire for the weather as the run may be completed on an indoor track or outdoor track.
Direct Entry Applicants (current serving police officers in Ontario)
The Chatham-Kent Police Service does accept applications from current serving police officers in Canada. The only difference in the process will be they do not have to possess a current ATS Certificate of Results. Experienced police candidates will have to undergo a psychological assessment at their own expense should they reach stage 6.
Applications may be submitted at police headquarters to the attention of Inspector Trevor Crane.
The Chatham-Kent Police Service will also accept applications via email.
Please email Insp. Trevor Crane at firstname.lastname@example.org
If submitting an application via email, please ensure all required documents are attached in PDF format.
The file name must contain your first and last name. Example: JaneDoeCKPSapplication.pdf