WE ARE CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR
The Constable Selection System (CSS) has changed as of January 1, 2020.
For information on this new process, please visit www.oacpcertificate.ca
The Chatham-Kent Police Service strives to attract, identify and hire the best available candidates and thereby ensure those candidates will contribute to the professionalism of our organization. The CKPS Recruit Selection testing is an important component of our selection process as it assists us to identify the best candidates.
Requirements for Police Cadets
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Be physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position, having regard for his or her own safety and the safety of the public.
- Be of good moral character and habits.
- Must possess a minimum of a diploma or degree from an accredited college or university.
- Possess a valid driver’s licence with no more than six accumulated demerit points, permitting you to drive an automobile in Ontario with full driving privileges.
- Must have no criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Vision requirements: uncorrected 20/40 correctable to 20/20 colour vision.
- Must successfully complete the Pre-Application Assessment for Police Constable conducted through the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police oacpcertificate.ca
- All new Members, as a condition of employment with the Service, are required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencing employment.
Stages of the Selection Process
- Pre-Interview Assessment Stage
- Submit Application
- Fitness Testing
- Preliminary Interview
- Background Investigation
- Psychological Testing
- Final Interview
- Offer of Employment
Please note that this is a competitive process and applicants are screened out during each stage. Successful applicants at each stage will receive an invitation to the next stage in the process.
Stage 1: Pre-Interview Assessment Stage
Completed through the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police https://oacpcertificate.ca
Stage 2: Submit Application
Applicants must provide the following items as part of their application:
- Cover Letter. A valid email address must be included for contact purposes.
- OACP Certificate of Results – obtained through Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police oacpcertificate.ca
- Authorization of Release of Information
- Record of Medical Examination
- Record of Medical History
- Record of Vision & Hearing
- First Aid/CPR Certificate – Level C
- All Diplomas and/or Degrees (high school, college, university)
- All transcripts (high school and post-secondary even if partially completed)
- Copy of current birth certificate and driver’s licence. If born outside of Canada, proof of citizenship or landed immigrant status.
Please provide these items in a single PDF file format and email the document to:
S/Sgt. Matthew Stezycki at email@example.com
Direct Hires will include everything listed above, except the OACP Certificate of Results.
Stage 3: Fitness Testing
Those invited to participate in the fitness test will be required to achieve Level 7.0 on the 20-metre shuttle run.
Candidates will be required to sign a Fitness Liability Release Form.
Stage 4: Preliminary Interview
Applicants will be interviewed by a recruiting team.
Stage 5: Background Investigation
An investigator will be assigned to complete a thorough background investigation into the applicant. It will include speaking with past employers, friends, family, personal references, and anyone else we think might be able to help.
Stage 6: Psychological Testing
Applicants will meet with a third-party psychological assessment service. The psychological interview determines applicant suitability to policing. There is no way to study or prepare for this stage.
Stage 7: Final Interview
The Chief of Police and members of senior administration will interview candidates to determine their suitability for hire.