The Chatham-Kent Police Service is committed to promoting and integrating the values of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion within the police service and the municipality. We strive to be reflective and considerate of the community we serve.
In 2022, the Chatham-Kent Police Service established an Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion coordinator (EDIC) to help lead this commitment. The EDIC is responsible for ensuring an Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Strategy is implemented, liaising with community partners and stakeholders, and reviewing procedures and policies through an Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) lens. The EDIC will also be responsible for assisting with training and recruiting.
The current EDIC is Sergeant Lynette Hodder. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice Strategic plan in Chatham-Kent please click The Municipality of Chatham-Kent’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Justice Strategy | Let’s Talk Chatham-Kent (letstalkchatham-kent.ca)
What is Cultural Diversity?
A common misconception is that cultural diversity refers to only race or ethnicity. Culture helps shape individual’s identities, which makes every person culturally diverse.
Our community includes people from various walks of life, backgrounds, and corners of the globe. People come from diverse religions, racial identities, ethnic groups, speak many languages, celebrate various holidays, listen to all kinds of music, eat different foods, and have various values systems.
Benefits of Cultural Diversity in our Community:
This day highlights how important it is for communities to promote and celebrate cultural diversity. Cultural diversities bring in various perspectives, knowledge, expertise, literature, art, music, food, history, religion, food and more! Other benefits include:
- Creates safer communities and promotes social inclusion and feelings of representation
- Brings open-mindedness and empathy for one another
- Multiple voices, perspectives, and personalities bouncing off one another can give rise to out-of-the-box thinking and problem-solving
- Greater appreciation and opportunity to learn new languages, arts, history, foods, and ways of thinking
Benefits of Cultural Diversity in the Workplace:
Increased creativity: a culturally diverse workforce means unique perspectives, ways of thinking, problem solving, and talents to add to the team.
- Skilled immigrants bring in new education, work experiences, and a global business understanding which keeps Canadian businesses competitive.
- Increased customer satisfaction: better services for customers, organization, and partners especially with individuals who speak various languages.
- Welcoming and inclusive workplace encourages staff members to be themselves, and to embrace their differences to come together as one team.
Supporting Cultural Diversity:
Despite there being many policies, rights, and laws that protect people from various forms of discrimination, prejudices, and violence in Canada, people living in Canada are not always treated equally due to their cultural differences. In 2020, the number of police-reported hate crimes in Canada increased by 37%.
At the Municipality of Chatham-Kent, we strive to ensure that as an organization, people feel welcomed and can work and live authentically and proudly with their unique identities.
We can support and celebrate cultural diversity by:
- Purposefully interacting with people who have different cultures
- Understanding the benefits of cultural diversity
- Furthering our own learning: research and learn about customs, traditions, and practices and be respectful and open to learning
- Engage in cultural competence training: learn about the benefits here.
- Remember that every individual has unique experiences, refrain from asking people to be a spokesperson for that group.
- Speak up if you hear anyone being culturally insensitive
- If you are exposed to any form of discrimination based on cultural differences ensure you report this to your manager, supervisor, or HR representative.
Ethnocultural Community List: get connected with the various ethnocultural community here in Chatham-Kent.
Adult Language and Learning: promote and foster personal growth and adjustment for all, including immigrants, in Chatham-Kent through education, training, and opportunities that support independence and employment.”
CK Local Immigration Partnership:: “a collaborative framework towards the development of coordinated, comprehensive and strategic approaches to immigration and integration that fits the needs of Chatham-Kent’s recent immigrants, employers, and service providers.”
Windsor Women Working with Immigrant Women (W5): “assist immigrant and refugee women and their families to become full and participating members of Canadian Society.”