Fraud Warning: Beware of Online Scams
The Chatham Kent Police would like to alert the public about a recent fraud incident involving online transactions. On August 4, 2023, an individual reported that they were selling two hunting bows on an online platform for $1000. They received a message from a potential buyer who agreed to the price and said they would pay with a certified cheque.
The seller provided their personal information as requested by the buyer. Subsequently, the seller received a FedEx envelope containing a cheque for $3000, supposedly from a reputable bank. However, upon verification, it was discovered that the cheque was fraudulent.
This is a typical scam where fraudsters send overpayments via fake cheques, intending to deceive the recipient into sending back the excess amount along with the purchased item. The seller in this incident did not suffer any financial or property losses.
To protect yourself from similar fraudulent activities, please consider the following tips:
1. Exercise caution with overpayments: Be suspicious if a buyer offers to pay more than the agreed-upon amount and requests a refund of the excess money. Verify the authenticity of any payments before proceeding.
2. Trust your instincts: If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. Conduct thorough research and be cautious before engaging in online transactions.
3. Use secure payment platforms: Utilize reputable and secure online payment services that protect buyers and sellers. These platforms can provide an added layer of security.
4. Limit personal information sharing: Avoid sharing unnecessary personal information with unknown individuals. Minimize the risk of identity theft or fraud by providing limited details during online transactions.
5. Report suspicious activity: If you encounter suspicious or fraudulent transactions, promptly contact your local police department and provide them with all relevant information. Reporting these incidents can help prevent others from falling victim to similar scams.
We encourage everyone to remain vigilant and share this information to create a safer online environment.