The Chatham-Kent Police Service responded to 129 calls for service in the last 24 hours. Three people were arrested.
IPV Arrest – Grand Ave West Chatham. CK24002980
A 15 year old youth was involved in a recent break up in a relationship. The youth made threats to multiple family members and sent inappropriate content to several people. The youth was arrested and charged with Uttering threats (x2) and distribution of child pornography.
The Youth was held for bail
Fraud warrant – Man turned himself into Chatham-Kent Police CK24002961
A 49 Year old Chatham man turned himself in to Chatham-Kent Police for an outstanding Fraud warrant. The man had received a large sum of money for renovations and installing a pool. The man never completed a large portion of the work and was unable to be located. The man was charged with fraud over $5000 and released with a future court date of February 26/2024.
Tips for Hiring a Contractor
FRAUD – Construction & Handyman Services
The Chatham-Kent Police have received several fraud complaints about paving and other construction companies conducting door-to-door sales, entering into contracts, and then not honouring the contracts.
Consumer Protection Tips When Hiring a Home Contractor
• Get recommendations from people you trust.
• Before initiating work, ensure the contractor is insured.
• Get multiple written estimates.
• If it sounds too good to be true, it likely is.
• Check references from past jobs.
• AVOID CASH DEALS
• Be cautious of unsolicited offers via the phone or door-to-door.
• Understand the scope of the work – If you hire a scammer and they do damage to City property, you could be held civilly responsible for its repair.
• Take pictures – Before, during and after. If suspicious, also consider photos of contractor vehicles and licence plates.
Put it on Paper
• Work requested and agreed upon.
• Dates – Start and Finish.
• The exact cost of the project.
• Payment Schedule – 10% deposit at the start, final total amount upon satisfactory completion of agreed-upon work.
• Demand a receipt.
• Demand guarantee/warranty information.
For further information, please reference:
Consumer Protection Ontario
Canadian Anti-Fraud Center